Sunday, August 8, 2010

A conversation with Kiki Mojo.

Name: Kiki Mojo
Number: (retired) 5
League: Houston Roller Derby
Home Team: Bayou City Bosses
Seasons Played: 1

What is your (roller derby) position of choice?
I typically jam and love it, but aspire to be a better blocker.

What is your skate gear of choice? 
I am on a budget and want to get the most for my money. I use Pro-Tech pads and skate in Riedell Vixens. Both do the job, but are on the lower end.

How did you hear about roller derby?
I read an article about a roller derby league starting where I grew up in Richmond, Va. My first thought was, "Why am I not doing this?!"

Were you a fan of the game before you played? 
 Yes. I was living in NC when I read the article, and there was no derby in my town. I bought a cheap pair of derby skates on ebay and started getting in shape, planning my move back to Houston. I was able to see the Carolina Rollergirls skate once before we moved back to Houston. Two months after we moved back here, I tried out and started my relationship with HRD.

What made you decide to become a roller girl? 
I LOVE skating. I used to skate in my basement and dream of being a professional roller skater. Being involved in a full-contact sport sounded crazily awesome to me.

Did you have a specific team you wanted to play for or did you end up exactly where you wanted?
 
When I started for the league, I just wanted to SKATE. There were things I loved about each team, and I was happy to have a home and love my Bosse$!

What are some of your best/favorite moments in roller derby?
 
I had lots of small me-moments: blocking another jammer out of bounds; getting hit and not falling down; getting through a pack of Sirens; scoring a grand slam. Derby is not just a ME sport, but a team sport, so my all time favorite moment is a team one: the last jam of the 2009 championship bout, Sirens v. Bosse$. I was pregnant, so calling lineups rather than skating. The game was close enough to go either way, and everyone in the building was on their feet. The moment the four whistles blew and the Bosse$ won was just as sweet from the bench as it would have been in skates. (Though honestly, I would have rather been in skates...)

Who are your roller derby heroes? 
I really hate to name names because there are so many skaters that I love to watch and love to skate with. My heroes really come mainly from HRD because I don't just get to watch bouts, but skate alongside them in practice and learn with and from them.

What goes through your brain as you lace up your skates? 
It's less of a thought and more of a realization that I'm going to my happy place.

Do you have a theme song? 
"Eye of the Tiger" is a great throwback.

Do you have a signature move? 
I wish! I'm not that good and haven't been skating long enough to perfect one.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in roller derby? 
Give it time! Few people still skate in quads, so be prepared for hard work to get your feet under you, and be ready to learn.

I know derby takes over your life when you become a roller girl. How do you balance being a writer, mom, wife and daughter with derby? 
It's HARD. I think that most skaters are constantly skating that line as they try to find the right balance. I have struggled with this in a very real way because I have gotten pregnant twice in my short derby career--the first time a month after I made the league and then again halfway through my rookie season. I'm the kind of person that loves to do a lot of things, but doesn't do a lot of things well when I do them all at once. So, putting my family before derby has meant retiring briefly when I was needed at home with my little ones. At the same time, skating makes me a better Mom because it allows me to have some time each week when I'm able to relax, exercise, and have some time "off." Even though I'm currently retired, I skate at least once a week, whether that's Rec, speed, or a Boss team practice. I hope to come back when I'm able to devote the time without shortchanging my family. As for writing and all the other hats up in the air...well, I'm just trying to figure it out as I go and don't always do the best job!

How does it feel to have fans? 
Do I have fans besides my husband and family? Because that'd be cool.
Sunnie's note: I pointed out that I was her fan.

What was your family's reaction to your desire to play? 
My husband was iffy until he saw his first bout. He is a huge athlete and sports fan, and when he realized derby was a sport, he was all on board. My Mom thought I was nuts (and still does) and my Dad knew it sounded just like me.

Anyone you'd like to take the opportunity to thank? 
I'm thankful to ALL the skaters who work so hard to keep our league alive and growing.

What are some of your greatest roller derby accomplishments? 
Honestly, I don't think I've accomplished my main goal yet: making it through a season without getting pregnant.

Thanks to Kiki Mojo for taking the time for the interview. If you haven't had a chance please check out her pickle hating blog.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being a fan and letting me talk about derby! :) Also, for the record, I love Gypsy Pickles (who skates with the Brawlers) and hate REAL pickles, like the kind you eat. Sorry, Colonel.

    ReplyDelete