Monday, August 23, 2010

An Interview with HRD's Sinister Sista

Name: Sinister Sista
Number: 903
League: Houston Roller Derby
Home Team: The Brawlers (formerly the Burlesque Brawlers)
Seasons Played: in my 4th season


What is your (roller derby) position of choice?
Anywhere, but I mostly play pivot.

What is your skate gear of choice?
I love my teeth, so I'm going to say my custom mouth guard.

How did you hear about roller derby?
  I've known about since back in the day when my Dad and I used to watch it on TV. Current day I learned about it coming back on a friends MySpace page (when MySpace was popular).


Were you a fan of the game before you played?
YES

What made you decide to become a roller girl?
I've always wanted to do it since I first saw the craziness back in the day on the banked tracks.

Did you have a specific team you wanted to play for or did you end up exactly where you wanted?
At first I wanted to play for a specific team, but I was just happy to be on a team.


What are some of your best/favorite moments in roller derby?
Nationals are ALWAYS my fav and seeing the awesome derby leagues around the regions play every year!! 2nd would be me hitting DBC and her turning around out of the hit skating backwards and getting freaking lead jammer!! 3rd would have to be when I knocked DeMentia 3 rows back into the crowd and then later had a beer with her.
Or seeing the 1 time Panty Raider actually knocked me down and then coming up to me at the after party all giddy and jumping up and down all happy that she did.


Who are your roller derby heroes?
There are sooo many great skaters, but for sure Ann Cavello!


Do you have a motivational quote?
Never sell yourself short. "Use your ASS!"

Do you have any game day rituals?
Normally before I have to be at the bout location I eat 2 pancakes, egg whites and sometimes some sautéed veggies

What goes through your brain as you lace up your skates for a bout?
Focus. Focus and have fun!!

Do you have a theme song?
Hmmm... not that I can think of.


Do you have a signature move?
I tend to butt punch people in the stomachs so I guess the butt punch move. LOL.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in roller derby?
Be certain that you have the time to do this because it's a HUGE commitment.


I know derby takes over your life when you become a roller girl. How do you keep things in balance? 
 I force myself to make time for non-derby events and socials.

How does it feel to have fans? 
It's pretty cool

What was your family's reaction to your desire to play?
LOL this is a good one.
My dad- "You're going to get out there and break your back!"
Me- "Dad, it's flat track there aren't any rails"
Dad- " well you'll probably still end up hurting yourself"
My mom had a similar reaction, but just shook her head.
Now they BOTH show pics and brag about me doing this... haha

Anyone you'd like to take the opportunity to thank?
I'd like to thank my brothers for making me the tough chick that I am today. :)

What are some of your greatest roller derby accomplishments?
My ULTIMATE accomplishment this season is that I set a goal for myself to play ALL positions and I have. I've played every position including jammer. :)

Do you have answers to questions I should have asked?

Injuries? I've had 2
recovering from my 2nd one- fractured tibia and tiny fracture of the fibula- this happened in May of this year (2010) I will be skating in the September bout.
2 years ago I had a fractured fibula in May 08 and was out for the whole season.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite moments too Sista! Glad you are on the mend, My Friend.
    :o)
    DBC

    ReplyDelete