Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Goody to Bruise

 Sunnie's Flowers is going NATIONAL! I landed my first interview outside of Texas! I'm super excited about this one!

First Bout July 18th, 2010 
Name: Goody to Bruise

Number: 1134

League/Home Team: Hudson Valley Horrors

Seasons Played:


How did you decide on your derby name & number? 
My friend came up with my name...no one can believe I play this sport because they think I'm a "goody two shoes" so one clever gal came up with "goody to bruise"! I'm a former gymnast and like to do handstands. When I do a handstand with my number on it spells "Hell" and my teams slogan is "Hell on wheels".

What is your (roller derby) position of choice?

Blocker... I like to hit people! But lately I like jamming too.

What is your skate gear of choice?

Triple 8 helmet, 187 pads, Riedell skates, Shadow wheels.

How did you hear about roller derby? 
I went to the movies one night and the Horrors were there. I was completely hooked as soon as I saw them! The fact that they gave me stickers and pins and an invite to a game just cemented in my mind that I wanted to be a roller girl!

Were you a fan of the game before you played?
 
Yes! As soon as the whistle blew at the first bout and I saw the girls in action I was so excited.

What made you decide to become a roller girl?
 
Meeting the Horrors and seeing them play.

What are some of your best/favorite moments in roller derby?
 
Working out hard at practice, the incredible friendships I've made, being chosen to play in B-Team & A-team bouts during my first season, traveling, and NSO-ing at other teams bouts.

What is the funniest thing that has happened to/ around you in derby? 
There are just too many...every time we're together its a riot!

Who are your roller derby heroes? 
My teammates and the Gotham Girls!
Do you have any game day rituals? 
Listen to aggresive music before the bout.

What goes through your brain as you lace up your skates for a bout? 
"I hope I don't throw up!"

Do you have a theme song?
 
"Bodies" by Drowning Pool

Do you have a signature move? 
No but I've got a great booty check!

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in roller derby? 
Give it your all and HAVE FUN!!!

I know derby takes over your life when you become a roller girl. How do you keep things in balance? 
It was hard at first. My sisters came up with a slogan "Keep it in the rink!". I try to say that to myself when I act up...

What was your family's reaction to your desire to play?
 
They were worried I would get hurt.

How does it feel to have fans?
 
MOST of the time pretty cool...sometimes a lil' creepy!

Who are your derby heroes? 
Bonnie Thunders and Suzy Hot Rod.

Anyone you'd like to take the opportunity to thank? 
My team, the coaches for training me, my fave girls for their love and support, and Tony and Sue our speed skating coaches for their time and dedication!

What are some of your greatest roller derby accomplishments? 
Usually girls don't get to play their first season so being chosen to play in B-Team bouts after 6 months was huge for me. I was also chosen to be an alternate in the Empire Skate Showdown for the A-Team and I was so thrilled to wear that uniform! I know it's not much but for a first year tender I feel accomplished!

How did derby change your world?
It boosted my confidence and made me healthy.

What else, besides play, do you do for your league? 
I am on the arts committee and I am a WFTDA representative for my league.

What’s the hardest part of being a roller girl?
 
Keeping your head about you in a jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment