Monday, January 24, 2011

Tex Offender's Interview

I've been a fan or volunteer with Houston Roller Derby since their first Season in 2006. This is a special interview for me because not only is TEX a founding member, she is also the reason I know about Roller Derby at all. I proudly present TEX Offender! 

Name: TEX Offender
Number: 6 gun
League: Houston
Home Team: Sirens
Seasons Played: 5


How did you decide on your derby name?
My ex (Cullen) gave me my name. *Sex Offender = TEX Offender.

What is your (roller derby) position of choice?

Pivot

Did you ever get to play as a jammer?
Yes

What is your skate gear of choice?
Ridell

How did you hear about roller derby?

Used to watch TXRG Austin play then heard Houston was starting up one and went to the first meeting / practice.

Were you a fan of the game before you played?
Yes TXRG Austin

How does it feel to have helped spark a revolution?

Derby has consumed my life for many years and it hope many years to follow.

What made you decide to become a roller girl?
Had alot of free time...

What are some of your best/favorite moments in roller derby? 
Being on HRD's travel team - Hard Knocks and going on trips with those girls! Alot of love for them. Sirens winning back to back championships!

What is the funniest thing that has happened to/ around you in derby?

Having Mistilla do a whip off my pants and me moon the fans.

Who are your roller derby heroes?

Sparkle Plenty - TXRG retired skater now. An amazing skater and pivot.

Do you have a motivational quote?

"Sirens Por Vida"

What went through your brain as you laced up your skates for a bout?

NERVOUS!! Wanted to vomit.

Do you have a theme song?
Electric Six - High Voltage - Sirens team song.

What else, besides play, do you do for your league?

Was the skater rep for the Sirens several 3 years and Co-Cappy. Was on the training committee and now I am the Sirens bench coach.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in roller derby?

Take it seriously! Derby is a sport and a social scene.


I know derby takes over your life when you become a roller girl. How do you keep things in balance?

Being apart of HRD for many years my life adapted to my derby schedule...

What was your family's reaction to your desire to play?
They loathed it and said it wasn't a sport. My son however was raised as an HRD brat. He has/had 60 other mothers to listen to!

How does it feel to have fans?
Puts a smile on my face.

What are some of your greatest roller derby accomplishments?

What would you tell someone that doesn't know roller derby to get them to come to a bout?

Anyone you'd like to take the opportunity to thank?
The women of HRD and TXRG! And all the support from volunteers and fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment