Saturday, October 16, 2010

I'm someone who loves derby almost as much as life itself, its easy to see how I could get super excited about every interview I have the privilege of posting. This is most defiantly no exception to the rule. I squealed for a few minutes when she agreed to the interview! It is my honor to bring you one of the original members of Houston Roller Derby: Miss Lead!

Name: Miss Lead
Number: 22
League: Houston Roller Derby
Home Team:
Machete Betties 2006-2008, Bayou City Bosses 2009, The Brawlers 2010
Seasons Played: 5

How did you decide on your derby name?

When I first started skaters were telling me that when they hit me, it felt like they were hitting a brick wall, and that my hits were hard. I was a Bettie, and wanted my name to kinda tie in with my team. So I picked Lead (it's heavy, and it's used for bullets). Then I just stuck Miss in front of it.


What is your (roller derby) position of choice?
Blocker 3 (wish I never had to play any other position)


What is your skate gear of choice?
 anything that feels right


How did you hear about roller derby?
I saw an HRD billboard driving down the freeway one day and wondered what roller derby was, I asked around and was told that there was a show on A&E about the Austin Roller Derby. I saw a bunch of drinking & hitting & was like YEAH!! It didn't turn out to be anything like what I saw on TV, but it was still good.


Were you a fan of the game before you played?
No, wasn't a fan before.


What made you decide to become a roller girl?
After I saw the billboard, I looked on line and saw tryouts were 2 weeks away. I was a figure skater back in the day so thought I'd be okay at roller derby, so I just tried out thinking I was gonna get paid for this.

What was it like being on Travel Team? You ladies are always on the go!
It was a great challenge skating against teams you know nothing about, I loved hitting on girls I didn't know. It did take a lot of time away from my home life.... A-LOT of time.


What are some of your best/favorite moments in roller derby?
Being able to skate Nationals in Philly. & Being able to see the BeyonSlay/RiceRocket hit LIVE at ECE in 08.
(Sunnie's note ECE stands for East Coast Extravaganza) 



What is the funniest thing that has happened to/ around you in derby?
Funniest moment in derby was 2009, Bosses vs. Corpus. While I was in a pack w/DBC A big girl landed on DBC & wouldn't get up. All I could see is DBC squirming trying to get from under her. At that point, I wasn't even worried about what was going on in the bout, all I could do is pull to the outside line and laugh.



Who are your roller derby heroes?
BTT (Austin) & BeyonSlay (Gotham) They make blocking look so easy


Do you have any game day rituals?
Game day I MUST watch Tank Abbot UFC fights from the early 90s. I have a Tank Abbot Highlights DVD that I watch.


What goes through your brain as you lace up your skates for a bout?
"I'm getting ready to hit some bitches!"


Do you have a signature move?
My swoop hit



What advice would you give to someone just starting out in roller derby?

 Work hard to get your body ready for this.
 
I know derby takes over your life when you become a roller girl. How do you keep things in balance?
I don't think I was able to figure out how to balance out my life when I was in derby. I gave derby my all.

What was your family's reaction to your desire to play?
My son liked that his mom was in derby when I first joined, after a couple of years, he didn't care for me to do it anymore. It took too much time away from him.



How does it feel to have fans?

I don't think I had many fans. I always kept quiet and never talked or reacted to the crowd. Too shy.



Anyone you'd like to take the opportunity to thank? 
I would like to thank Justin, our league trainer in 06, he taught me a whole lot about blocking. DBC & Speed O' for trying to teach me to juke. & RollerCon, I learned a good season's worth of stuff from RollerCon.


What are some of your greatest roller derby accomplishments?
Being on a team in 09 w/a great group of talented skaters that made it to Nationals!




How did derby change your world?
I met a few good, lifetime friends while in derby.


I know you’ve retired as a player will we see you come back as a coach?

If the Brawlers would like help with coaching, I told them I'd be there, or I'd like to call their line-ups



No comments:

Post a Comment