Sunday, January 30, 2011

With no hope of redemption it's #237 Shawshank!

One of the joys of being a Derby Nerd is meeting some awesome and super fun people. Shank is definitely both! She's a skilled blocker and she does well as a pivot too. If you meet her you will be her fan instantly!

Name: Shawshank
Number: 237
League: Houston Roller Derby
Home Team: Bayou City Bosses
Seasons Played: This is my second!




How did you decide on your derby name?
I didn’t! It was a group effort at a bar and, sadly, I totally can’t take credit for it.

What is your (roller derby) position of choice?
Hmmm…I don’t know if I have a favorite. I am probably best at being a plain old blocker of some variety.

Did you ever get to play as a jammer?
Heck yeah! It isn’t a position I normally play (for good reason ) so I always have fun when I get to do it. I’m not sure I would want to do it full-time but those are some of my favorite moments.

What is your skate gear of choice?
I am a big fan of my teeth so I have to say my mouthguard.

How did you hear about roller derby?
You know, I don’t really know. It was just sort of there in my circle of friends.

Were you a fan of the game before you played?
Um…no. This is probably my deep dark secret but I had never been to a bout before I actually skated a bout. I started derby in New Orleans but moved to Houston right after making that league so I never had an opportunity to really see a bout and, um, yeah. I just never got around to it.

What made you decide to become a roller girl?
I grew up skating and did figure skating on quads as a kid. I figured roller derby was a way to redeem my tremendously dorky skating past.

What are some of your best/favorite moments in roller derby?
The Boss championship win last season. Hands down.

What is the funniest thing that has happened to/ around you in derby?
I peed my pants. I’d rather not elaborate but, in hindsight, it was pretty funny.

Who are your roller derby heroes?
I am in awe of all of these women, honestly.

Do you have a motivational quote?
Damn, I don’t. But now I feel like I should go get one.

Do you have any game day rituals?
I have a ‘bout playlist’ that I listen to and I also eat my weight in cashews.

What goes through your brain as you lace up your skates for a bout? dontbeapointdontbeapointdontbeapointdontbeapoint

Do you have a theme song?
I’m always secretly humming ‘Non, Je ne regrette rien’.

Do you have a signature move?
Is inappropriately touching my teammates considered a ‘move’?

What else, besides play, do you do for your league?
I serve on our Board of Directors as the Chief Administrative Officer and I’m also head of Interleague.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in roller derby?
Don’t give up and GET BACK UP. Everyone falls, everyone makes mistakes – the difference is whether you get up and try again. Also? Wait before you start spending all of your savings on gear until you know what works for you.

I know derby takes over your life when you become a roller girl. How do you keep things in balance?
I’m not sure I do that very well! Luckily, my kids think it’s normal to have friends with funny names and they enjoy coming to practice or bouts. But it *is* extraordinarily difficult. I’ve lost a few friends to derby but the ones that count have embraced it with me and are now huge fans.

What was your family's reaction to your desire to play?
They were totally excited and supportive. Seriously, my dad can’t be more thrilled that I’ve decided to put on skates again.

How does it feel to have fans?
I have fans?!?

What are some of your greatest roller derby accomplishments?
I think my greatest accomplishment is simply still being here, with minimal injury and more love for the sport.

What would you tell someone that doesn't know roller derby to get them to come to a bout?
 Beer and broads on skates.

It's been 8 years since the inception of Women's Flat Track Derby where do you see the sport 8 years from now?
I hope in 8 years the sport has become more recognized as a sport and that I never have to explain that, no, we don’t just punch people or, no, it isn’t fake.

Anyone you'd like to take the opportunity to thank?
Everyone.

Do you have answers to questions I should have asked (or shout outs)? 
 You should ask about people’s derby numbers. I love hearing the significance of why someone chooses a number!

So why did you choose your number? 
My derby # is Andy Dufresne's cell # in Shawshank Redemption. Ok, so my story isn't that interesting...heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment