Friday, September 24, 2010

Brand-Aid!

It is my pleasure and to present my first Siren interview! I've been so excited about this! I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I do!

<3 Sunnie


Name: Brand-Aid  
Number: 26
League: Houston Roller Derby
Home Team: Psych Ward Sirens
Seasons Played: 2

How did you decide on your derby name?
My mom always called me Brand-Aid as a kid (my first name is actually Brandi) because I would always ask for a Band-Aid anytime I so much as bruised myself. I felt like it was still a good name since I am pretty accident prone.
What is your (roller derby) position of choice?
I pretty much play wherever I’m needed but I prefer playing as a blocker in the back of the pack or jamming.
What is your skate gear of choice?
I use Riedell 126 boots with Powerdyne Reactor plates. I love my Atom G-Rods 2.0 wheels!
 
How did you hear about roller derby?
I was going to school in Austin whenever Derby first made it’s comeback and saw a flier in a store window on the Drag.
Were you a fan of the game before you played?
Not really.  I had been to just one game a few years before I started training for derby.

What made you decide to become a roller girl?
I always skated growing up and even played street hockey in high school so I was interested the very first time I saw a flier but didn’t get up the nerve to actually go for it until I was skating at Dairy Ashford Roller Rink’s cheap skate night with some friends where an HRD girl suggested I try out.
What is it like being on TT?  You ladies are always on the go!
It’s the reason I love playing derby! To be able to play against some people who founded the sport of modern roller derby is just amazing.  In the past year and a half since I started with travel team, I have been to several places I might not have traveled to otherwise.
What are some of your best/favorite moments in roller derby? 
My favorite moment was at Regionals last year in Atlanta when we beat Dallas in the 3rd place game of the tournament and won our way into the National tournament in Philadelphia. We all screamed and cried and cheered and created a huge dog pile. Very soon after that was the amazing experience to be a rookie traveling with HaRD Knocks on HRD’s very first appearance at Nationals.

What is the funniest thing that has happened to/ around you in derby?
I know there are probably hundreds of funny things and so I think that’s why I can’t think of anything at the moment!

Who are your roller derby heroes?
All of the ladies who play at a national level and are making the sport more and more legitimate everyday.  I don’t have any specific heroes but I really respect anyone who plays with their heart and with respect for their opponents and for the game.  I value good sportsmanship above all other qualities when competing.
Do you have a motivational quote?
It’s not necessarily a derby motivational quote but I’ve always like this one by Helen Keller: “One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
Do you have any game day rituals?
Not really but I do like to eat a veggie Mission Burrito! :)

What goes through your brain as you lace up your skates for a bout?

I’m mostly just thinking about the way my skates feel on my feet. If I lace them too tightly then my toes go numb!  

Do you have a theme song?
No, but I think I need one. You have any suggestions?
Do you have a signature move?
I like to hit people directly in the thigh with my behind. I am told thatit feels like being punched in the leg - like a dead leg!

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in roller derby?
Jump right into it once you figure out how to skate. Don’t be afraid of scrimmaging with the big girls. That’s the only way you’re going to learn to take a hit and get the game in your head. My first practice scrimmaging was against Travel Team before I was even drafted to a team. Talk about scary but it was worth it because I learned so much!


I know derby takes over your like when you become a roller girl. How do you keep things in balance?
Derby really does take up most of your free time.  I am lucky that my boyfriend is also involved with derby or it would be much harder to find time to spend with him, but everyone needs a break now and then.  You have to make yourself not feel too guilty about missing an event or a practice every once and a while or it is all too easy to get burnt out.  

What was your family's reaction to your desire to play?
When I first mentioned wanting to play derby, my mom was worried that I’d get my teeth knocked out. Now that my family has been to some games, they just think derby is awesome and why wouldn’t they?!
 
How does it feel to have fans?
I love our fans because without them we wouldn’t be able to play this awesome sport at the level we do. I personally don’t feel like I have a huge following because I’m not really a flashy player. I envy some of the girls like Beverly Kills and Sick Nick who really have fun with the game and get the crowd going! I’m kind of shy so I just stick to playing and try not to look around too much! :)

Anyone you'd like to take the opportunity to thank?
I’d love to thank the Sirens for having faith in me and knowing that I would have to get better at some point! My family and friends who have been so supportive and helped me personally with trips to Regionals and Nationals but also donated to HaRD Knocks so that we could all get new helmets!

What are some of your greatest roller derby accomplishments?

 Being able to jam for both HaRD Knocks and the Sirens has been a huge accomplishment for me. I hope that I can continue to improve my speed and endurance to really become a point scorer for both of my teams!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment